Monday, November 30, 2009

HOW-TO: Virtualization - Fedora on Windows with Virtualbox

This post is a step-by-step guide to installing Fedora on Windows as a Virtual OS using VirtualBox. The steps involved are the same if you want to install any other Linux based OS. I have tried this with Android(desktop build), Ubuntu, OpenSuSE and Fedora. 

Before we step into this tech mumbo-jumbo; If you want to know what Virtualization is, check out my post here.

Ingredients

  • VirtualBox – Virtualization software. – Get it here.
  • A computer(desktop or laptop) running Windows.
  • Some free space on the Hard-Drive - 8 GB is what I set aside.
  • ISO file for the Fedora OS. – Get it here.

Recipe

I thought I would write out a step-by-step guide with pictures and all. But then I realized it would be cooler to post a screencast of the whole procedure. So, here it is:

If the embedded video is not clear enough, get the original here. If you didn't understand any particular thing shown on the video, please post your questions in the comments and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

And BTW, I used CamStudio to record the screencast. CamStudio is an uber-cool, Free Screen Recording Software.

Posted via web from silverstag's posterous

No comments: